I can't help but think of what my grandfather, Victor Ayala, would have thought. Well actually, I know exactly what he would say: Estos hijos de sus p- m- deberian trabajar en vez de quejar!! (These sons of b's should get a job instead of waste their time in the streets complaining) Now calm down all my liberal friends. I know that you think they're protesting about lack of jobs, wallstreet greed, yada yada, yada, etc etc. 99 percent of them don't even know why they're there. I saw quite a bit of the crowd, and I couldn't help but notice the plethora of facial piercings, mohawks, and other oddities. Yeah guys, great way to go to an interview too!!
Back to my story now. My grandfather was a very hard working man. He came over illegally and started his career in El Paso as a cook. He eventually saved up enough to open his own food stand. Demand eventually pushed him to open up his own restaurant, Victor's Cafe. Now remember, this was in the 1940's and 50's when Mexicans weren't exactly greeted with open arms and given a chance. At the end of his life, he had 3 restaurants, and gave all of my 8 aunts and uncles an opportunity to attent college if they wanted, paid for. He didn't speak English. He didn't ask for a handout. Really, he didn't ask for anything. He worked very hard for what he had and gave it all away. I would love to see and hear his reaction to the kids on Wallstreet, protesting.
I can't help but think of that Dire Straits song, money for nothing, chicks for free, I want my MTV. Great song too, by the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment