The following is an actual account of an insurance agent's interaction with several clients over the last year. (Not me of course)
Agent: So Mr. K, here is your quote and here is what it covers. When would you like for the policy to start?
Mr. K: Everything looks good. I'm just going to run it by my wife first. (Classic excuse for shifting blame to wife)
Agent follows up a day later......
Agent: Mr. K, let's get this policy going.
Mr. K: Well my friend, my wife said no. She said that I've been in business for 20 years without insurance and don't need it now.
Agent: Well, then you just call me right before you have a claim then. Have a nice day!
OR THIS IS ANOTHER CLASSIC MISCONCEPTION THAT'S FLOATING AROUND
"I don't need insurance because I'm a corporation, not a sole prop, so my personal assets are protected. THAT'S HILARIOUS! I don't know who started that rumor, but they deserve to be slapped. YES, YOU ARE LIABLE FOR ANY THIRD PARTY YOU DO BUSINESS WITH. IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW YOUR BUSINESS IS FORMED OR TITLED.
Unless you're Grace the Psychic Lady or Walter Mercado, you're not going to know when a claim will be filed. In fact, chances are you'll never have one. But, there's still a chance. And do you want to risk everything you've worked hard for because you weren't protected? Take my office for example: About a year ago, I had a client who wrote me a hot check almost start a fight with me because I wouldn't do business with him!!!! WITH ME! I don't know what's crazier: The fact that he was surprised that I wouldn't do business with him or the fact that he wanted to go toe to toe. And guess what? If I would have unleashed, then it would have been a claim on my business policy. That't right. I would have a claim to file for medical expenses and any lawsuit that idiot would have brought. The world is a crazy place.
So, here's my bit of unsolicited advice for today: Get insurance. You never know what the day might bring, especially if your business involves people.
Stay protected my friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment